Sunday, April 5, 2009

My First Triatholon The Ice Breaker

It was my my first tri! Jimmy invited me to do it like a week and a half before we did it! I was a little apprehensive, but I have been training for an all women's one in May 16th so I decided that this one might be a great training and to see what I need to work on! There's a lot to work on that is for sure! We started out Swimming 300 meters, which I have been training on and that was probably my favorite part! It was a ton of fun to pass people! It gave me a rush. I couldn't believe it was already over when it was time to get out of the pool. Then I dashed to get changed poolside into my "diaper shorts" for the bike. Those shorts are imperative, let me tell you! They are incredibly important! So off I went to bike my 12 miles! There were some pretty steep hills that were hard. The second go round up the hills I was barely moving and guy running next to me (cause he'd already finished his biking) said, "Gear down" and I yelled out in frustration, "I am" and then I realized what he was saying..."gear down" so I did and it was so much easier and better! So after I finished the biking (with a little detour down the wrong way) I jumped off my bike and my quads felt like they were going to come right out of my skin! Every muscle in my body was pounding and everyone just kept cheering me on and yelling, "Don't stop! Just keep moving." As I started my run, I couldn't believe that I had to go to the bathroom and still continue this whole run for 3.2 miles...but off I went running and trying to just find joy in the journey. I was tempted to cut across the cemetary, but then I decided that I was going to do this thing right as the faster I go, the faster I will finish. So I kept on running (more like Jogging! I need new jogging shorts for sure) and then I look up and Jimmy is there! He finished long before me! He was kind and came back to run with me the rest of the way. The good thing is this is the exact same course I will do again in May! So I feel more prepared and I'm going to practice biking more!!! (and not go down any wrong roads!) So we finished and what did I see at the finish line? My mom and Hal! I just started crying, because she said she wasn't going to be able to make it and it made me so happy that she was there! It was really nice to have someone to just fall into at the finishline. Someone to just hug and callapse into that wouldn't judge me for being so exhausted!!! And there she was, that woman that I tend to fight with all the time, my mom! So we hugged, ate apples and bananas and drank lots of water, walked around and felt good! It was a great day! It truly is addicting! I'm excited for the next one! Oh, and along the trail I saw my friend Rachel, I taught swimming at her house last summer. It was an overall uplifting experience. Everyone could tell I was a newbee and they were all so nice and gave support and great tips. It was very positive. I suggest that anyone who needs a pick me up, do a run or competition of sometime, where you just compete with yourself! It is great!


They write your age on your calf to determine your category. It was crazy, cause I would look down at the people's ages passing, they were like 56 and stuff! Incredible people on this earth!


For the swimming part they write your number up and down your arm! Mine is finally coming off. This guy that night at sweet tomatoes where we went to dinner, goes "did you do a triatholon today?" I was like, "Yeah how did you know?" and he was like, "Cause your number." Who knew? But a whole bunch of people apparently cause I kept getting asked all week!








The finish line! 2:05 was my time.





5 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME! Nice work. I miss you! Work is not the same without you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats...you are a rock star! It feels so good when you are done, huh? I wanted to do another one this year, but now I'll have to wait until next year because we are expecting again. I guess it will be a good reason to get back into shape! Have fun in Greece...I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats...you are a rock star! It feels so good when you are done, huh? I wanted to do another one this year, but now I'll have to wait until next year because we are expecting again. I guess it will be a good reason to get back into shape! Have fun in Greece...I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl!! You are an inspiration to me!!!

    ReplyDelete