Monday, April 21, 2008

Day two: Monday, April 14th, 2008 off to los cabos

Tamee and I woke up and took a walk around the gated community we stayed the night in. I wanted to take a picture with a stop sign, because this one only really means "Yeild" and the one that means "STOP!" says, "Alto total" like a complete stop. I thought that would be fun for my kids to see the difference.


I was really suprised at the amount of people that had cars and were not as poor as I rememered in my mission. But i recognize that Los Cabos are really expensive, high functioning areas that are based solely on tourism. Apparently the industry isn't as good this year as it was last year, because of the "recession" that the U.S. is having, so it's hurting them.
As we were walking we saw a school and decided to go visit it. We were going to ask permission to go to a classroom, but there was a class that didn't have a teacher. The teacher just kind of up and disappeared and the kids didn't know where she went. They kindly and willingly invited us in. I love it! I was speaking Spanish and was like their teacher and they all quieted down and listened to me! It was so cool. I could see myself here, teaching them. My heart loved them! It made me realize how small we are in this vast world and there are sooooo many amazing and good people out there. I told them that i was a Spanish teacher (they got all excited about that!) and i recorded them saying "Hola, Buenos dias de los cabos. Adios" to my class! They loved it and i did too! Tamee and I talked about maybe coming to Mexico and teaching for a few years! Why not? It would serioulsy be so fun! We were shocked cause they even had a SMART board in their class room! They loved it! And when we asked them how they felt about uniforms, they were like "What do you mean?", because it is something that isn't even a question in their lives. Every single public school wears them, so it's not like it's something they can rebel against, they just do it, because it's expected. I told my students that. They were pretty dumbfounded that people could be okay with uniforms!!! I guess i'm glad if i have to fight a battle, it's a small one!
Coco cola! Really important!



Hotel Regina at the Westin: it only costs 3,000 a night!!! No biggie! But with 8 pools with different temperatures...how do you go wrong? Yikes...and we met some people who actually stayed there for 10 days and got married right there on the beach.

Monday was check in, but before we could check in, we went to a time share presentation where we got a free Zipline excursion and breakfast. Not too bad of a deal. After 3 hours though...it's like I said "No" 100 times already, do you really think i'm going to change my mind???










No comments:

Post a Comment