Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Festival of Trees time

So every year I volunteer at the festival of trees. It is one of my favorite things to do, because as a volunteer we stand behind the chains, with the tree to watch and make sure that no one takes stuff off the tree or messes them up, cause they've previously been purchased for 1000's of dollars, but as we are back there we get to read the stories that go along with every tree. As I did it this year, I realized yet again how big this world is and how many lives are affected by hard things daily and multiple times in a lifetime. As a worker, we get the details on the trees and I am touched to see that people, though they have passed through some really hard times, they aren't resentful, but want to help where they can as much as possible. On so many of the stories I just stood there with tears in my eyes thinking, "Wow, they have been through a lot and the majority of these people walking by just say, 'that's a cute tree or, that needs help etc.'" and all the while there is a deeper story to all of the trees. Many people have sacrificed a ton to raise the money to be able to create such gorgeous trees and then donate them so the hospital can get the money in order to cut costs for suffering parents and families! It is one of the best causes I've ever volunteered at.

I especially liked the wood tree. It was carved and cut and made by a woodworker, it had a motor that brought a ball to the top and it dropped down through all these tunnels etc in a maze and made it's way down and then got sucked up the tube again to start over...it was amazing. so many hours of hard work donated.



then of course there's the Cullen Christmas made by the obsessed twilighters of salt lake who actually went to Forks in Washington and La Push and took a tour and ended up donating all this great stuff.


then there was the glass tree! My all time favorite. The lights blinked in coordination with the music and the surrounding trees. It was so cool and beautiful!

I saw these crazy ladies who got all glittered out and Christmasy. They were so funny. I think i'll probably be like them when i get old...at least i hope so!






I Really liked this tree! It's my new motto "It's all good"...don't worry too much about things...just enjoy it...cause life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment