Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Atonement and the Book of Mormon for today

Thursday, June 21, 2012  9:59pm

What have I learned about the atonement from the Book of Mormon? I’ve learned a lot, but today, I learned that it is real and there are no things that cannot be covered by it. I know that sounds simple, but I was reading in the Book of Helaman chapter 7 and Nephi the grandson of the original Helaman, son of Alma the younger was praying and a bunch of people came and were “marveling” at his prayers and so he kind of went off on them.  He said how wicked they had been and how they needed to stop being so wicked or bad, bad, bad destruction and even complete obliteration of their people would happen, and then he used a key phrase 4 times; “Except ye repent” I couldn’t help but feel so deeply, “Wait a minute…so he’s saying that they did all of these awful, wicked things and he was still telling them they had a chance.  That yes, destruction and awful things would come because they had done them, except they repent.”  And that was the key.  He kept saying it, “You’ve done a lot of bad things.  And the future doesn’t look bright for you.  I mean really bad stuff and extinction of your people is going to happen…except ye repent.  You’ve still got a chance to stop it right now and just repent and be whole through Christ.”  It was amazing to me. It hit me like a light; like the thing I’ve always known, but hadn’t really understood popped into full view.  Except ye repent.  So that would mean that repentance was an option! Crazy!!!!  No, not at all. God is our Father. He wants us home. He provided a way that even when we made huge crazy big mistakes, that we could make it home.  I have to know what to do to get back home…it’s easy repent. Be humble and give your will to God.  That gave me more hope than I’ve had in a long time!  And then I was reading President Monson’s talk in Priesthood April 2012 that talked about Nephi and priesthood leaders.  He just simply quoted a very well known verse 1 Nephi 3:7. “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”

I thought to myself, after having read Helaman 7 and pondering on the atonement.  That the part that says, “save He shall prepare a way that they may accomplish the thing with he commandeth them.”  So that means that he prepares an out for us from temptation in the moment.  He prepares an out for us if we fail to take the first out and give ourselves the atonement that covers us.  That means that we can be free from the sins that befall us and all we have to do is repent. “Except ye repent”  there could be a huge list of items we’ve done.  He doesn’t say, “Oh if you did that or this, you’re disqualified.”  He says, “Except ye repent.”  That’s all you have to do.  So I’ve learned a lot from that little bit.  He provides a way.  The way is the opportunity to repent of any sin and then to keep on going.  I’m learning  lot and am so grateful.  It’s been a hopeful learning day.

No comments:

Post a Comment