Friday, February 17, 2012

Giftedness and creativity

I'm presenting in my class today on creativity in giftedness. It has actually been a lot of fun to create my ppt. I have learned how to insert video (I included a clip from the Big Bang Theory, Dead Poet's Society and a picture of Dumbledore) (Troy is adding a wonderful clip from Monty Python and the Holy Grail of course!  It's funny!) and animate words etc. It has been great. I hope it turns out well. I was looking for this quote and without too much difficulty found it! I also really like the story of Darwin.  It goes to show that creativity and giftedness is innate (I have an argument on that of course) and internal to some extent.  But really fun in the meantime!

If I could learn how to insert my ppt here I would!


Elder Eyring recalled: “My father was at a blackboard we kept in the basement. [As we worked on the problem], suddenly he stopped. ‘Hal,’ he said, ‘we were working on this same kind of problem a week ago. You don’t seem to understand it any better now than you did then. Haven’t you been working on it?’ A bit embarrassed, I admitted I had not. ‘You don’t understand,’ my father went on. ‘When you walk down the street, when you’re in the shower, when you don’t have to be thinking about anything else, isn’t this what you think about?’ ‘When I told him no, he paused. It was a very tender moment, because I knew how much he loved me and how much he wanted me to be a scientist. Then he said, ‘Hal, I think you’d better get out of physics. You ought to find something that you love so much that when you don’t have to think about anything, that’s what you think about’ (Gerald N. Lund, “Elder Henry B. Eyring: Molded by ‘Defining Influences,’” Ensign, Sept. 1995, 12).

1 comment:

  1. yay for blogs! read through your year review post and got the quick run-down of the last year and half of your life, nicccccccce.

    ReplyDelete